Senior Data Engineer
- Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Join a movement in which everyone can win. We started a movement in which everyone can win – shoppers, retailers, society and every person on our team. To play fair, trust people and reward them for doing the right thing. We see and feel the impact of our work as more and more people gain financial freedom and retailers grow across the globe.
Afterpay is transforming the way we pay by allowing customers to buy products immediately and pay for their purchases over four installments. The service is completely free⁵ for customers who pay on time - helping people spend responsibly. As of December 31, 2021, Afterpay is offered by more than 122,000 of the world’s favorite retailers and more than 19 million active customers have adopted the service.
Afterpay is currently available in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United States and the United Kingdom, France, Italy and Spain, where it is known as Clearpay. Afterpay is on a mission to power an economy in which everyone wins. Afterpay is a wholly owned subsidiary of Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ)
We trust in the next generation and share a vision of a more accessible and sustainable world in which people are rewarded for doing the right thing.
The Global Data Engineering and Platforms (GDP) team is looking for a Senior Data Engineer to join their growing team. The purpose of the GDP team is to design, develop, and maintain a scalable and easy-to-use Data Platform that helps Afterpay on its journey to become the world's most-loved way to pay. This is a great opportunity for someone with a DevOps or software engineering background who is experienced in cloud infrastructure and wants to build their career within a fast-growing, global company.
You will be:
- Technically leading and executing data infrastructure projects
- Procuring, Processing, and Providing data from myriad sources in the GDP
- Writing secure, clear, well-structured, and performant code
- Keeping up-to-date with advances in the Data space and sharing learnings with the team
- Participating in after-hours and weekend support rotations
- Love data engineering and get excited talking about data, analytics, and AI/ML
- Lead by example in running best practices of Data Engineering
- Have Data Engineering skills (SQL, Python, Spark, etc.)
- Understand usual data concepts like Data Lake, Data Warehousing, ingestion patterns, etc
- Have experience in Cloud infrastructure, preferably AWS
- Have experience with Git/Jenkins, JIRA
Bonus points for:
- Spark (we use Python and Spark for big data processing)
- Experience with Apache Airflow/Luigi/Azkaban
- Software Engineering/Dev-Ops background
- Knowledge of Terraform or Cloudformation
- Understanding of AI/ML fundamentals.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.