- Oakland, CA, United States
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Block is committed to standards and new ideas, and our hardware is no exception. We rigorously test our hardware devices, which requires a combination of software and different test hardware running on racks. As a Hardware Systems Engineer in our Bay Area data centers, you will provide higher level support for our physical hardware infrastructure and maintain our data centers and their racks, driving chronic issues towards timely resolution, while having the opportunity to work with and drive new technologies.
- Configure and deploy bare-metal Linux systems on hardware lab server racks
- Develop and contribute to automation solutions for infrastructure configurations, host imaging, security updates and more
- Debug ambiguous failures in infrastructure and bring them to resolution with fellow engineers
- Partner with Network Engineers to configure and manage network connections for on-premise servers in different locales
- Support our Bay Area office data centers in-person and remotely
- 3-5 years of industry or relevant experience
- A strong desire to automate tasks and lead efforts for scheduled downtime and maintenance
- Familiarity with Linux
- A functional understanding of network routing, DHCP configurations, and other foundational networking concepts
- Experience with Configuration management and Infrastructure-as-Code tools such as Salt, Chef, Puppet, etc.
- Proficiency with shell scripting or equivalent (bash, powershell, etc)
- Experience with off-the-shelf or open-source imaging services such as MDT, WDS, DeployStudio, JAMF, etc.
- Programming skills in Python, Ruby, or a language of your choice
- Experience with CI/CD tools like Jenkins or BuildKite
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.