Software Engineering Manager, Global (Europe)
- London, POST-LON, United Kingdom
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees around the world with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and continue to value working across time zones and continents both remotely and in our Cash App offices.
Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Block operates. We tailor our experience to champion our employees’ creativity and productivity wherever they are.
Check out our locations, benefits and more at cash.app/careers.
The Global team's overall goal is to launch, build and sustainably grow Cash App beyond the US. Global has multiple workstreams that are responsible for new markets, launching new products in existing markets, and accelerating growth where we have found traction.
We are looking for a talented, entrepreneurial Engineering Manager with strong product know-how to help grow the new engineering team in Europe. You will report directly to the Director of Engineering for Europe. If this opportunity resonates with you, we'd love to hear from you.
- Partner closely with a Product Lead and cross functional foundational teams (Design, Operations, Machine Learning Engineering, Analytics, Compliance Regulatory and Customer Support) to execute your team's vision and roadmap. Ensuring alignment with the strategic vision as defined by the Director of Engineering will be critical to success.
- Take ownership to figure out how to solve and deliver on customer problems.
- Build and manage a world-class team by hiring exceptional talent, coaching and developing engineers, cultivating pragmatic engineering decision-making, and leveraging your technical expertise to constantly raise the bar.
- Lead and participate in critical technical, strategic and operational discussions with leaders across the organization, company and external partners.
- Foster ownership, inclusiveness, accountability and urgency in the team.
We value Engineering Managers who:
- Lead with a people-first approach, can foster a conversation rather than dictate it, and are empathetic to conflicting viewpoints.
- Have 2+ years of experience in leading teams of engineers, in both a technical and people management capacity, and ideally remote and distributed teams.
- Are able to nurture strong relationships with counterparts, both internally and externally, including business operations, risk operations, and customer support.
- Excel at building world-class engineering teams that are highly functional, collaborative, and inclusive.
- Have boundless curiosity, are motivated by what they don't know, and thrive in ambiguous environments.
- Knowledge/experience of consumer finance products is not essential, but highly desirable
Tools we use and teach:
- Java 11 including JUnit, Hibernate, and Guice
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, and Protocol Buffers
- MySQL, AWS Aurora
- Amazon Web Services
- Event-driven microservice architecture
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.