Senior Software Engineer, Credit Risk
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers.
As a Software Engineer on the Risk & Data Science Engineering team you will be responsible for developing software to make an immediate impact on our product. The Software Engineer will influence many aspects of our business through architecting our core risk systems. This is an exciting opportunity to make a direct, tangible impact on our product and work on projects that are pivotal to our team’s success and our company’s growth.
Marketplace under Cash App provides different payment products such as BNPL (Buy Now, Pay Later) or pay monthly to customers. The Credit Risk team is responsible for building systems that power credit risk management to all those products. We build deep integrations with underlying financial infrastructures and ensure that our products are able to scale.
You will be:
- Designing, building and owning the services and infrastructure that manages Afterpay's financial risk.
- Owning features and functions throughout their lifecycle from inception, rollout, launch, scale and iteration.
- Working in cross-functional Product teams responsible for the discovery, delivery and validation of product features via microservices, APIs, Web-apps etc.
- Working closely with the software engineering team following our software development principles, guided by the Staff Engineers and Engineering Managers.
- 8+ years of experience delivering quality software
- Natural curiosity to learn new technologies, solve interesting problems and build quality software
- Desire to find flaws in a system with many moving parts and take whatever steps are necessary to fix them
- Desire to perform and grow as an engineer lead
- Technical initiative and leadership on previous projects
- Expertise in mentoring and coaching junior developers.
Technologies we use and teach:
- Java, Kotlin
- Kubernetes, AWS
- Datadog, NewRelic
- Hibernate, MySQL, DynamoDB
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, Protocol Buffers
- Kafka, event-driven microservice architecture
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.