Payment Operations Manager, UK
- London, POST-LON, United Kingdom
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
The Industry Relations and Operations ("IRO") team enables Square to move money. As Acquiring Payments, Industry Relations and Operations Manager you will support one of Square's most important assets in delivering meaningful and unique value to our Sellers - our strategic operations and the industry relationships with payment networks, banks, card issuers and retail interbank payment systems and schemes.
From managing operational complexity, commercial relationships and agreements to enabling new product development, your role will be to support Square's IRO agenda and help Square grow and adapt in the dynamic landscape of the industry in which we operate. Reporting into the Head of IRO, this role can be based anywhere in the UK.
- Support the IRO team to operationalise and solidify strategic partnerships and vendor relationships enabling new products and infrastructure to future proof Square's business and ensure resiliency
- Work with payment industry partners and suppliers toward scoping and implementing new features and strengthening commercial, strategic, and processing infrastructure
- Lead the relationship in the UK with key payment partners such as the Card Schemes and Pay.UK. Leading discussion with card schemes, banks and industry partners to maximise benefits to Square and our customers while driving down inefficiencies and cost
- Creatively identify new sources of information, data and industry intelligence to allow Square to optimise its increasingly diversifying landscape of industry partners
- Partner with Counsel, Developers, Finance, Hardware, Marketing, Partnerships, Product, Sales and external businesses, vendors and industry leaders to better develop Square's go to market delivery and strategy
- Have an ability to program manage cross-functional projects and interact at all levels with diverse roles including engineers, business partners and executive leadership
- Have a desire to manage the movement of billions of dollars in a small team and be experienced working with funds disbursement methods.
- Be a thought leader interested in changing the payments landscape in the UK and globally
- 6+ years of experience, with an understanding of the payment industry and its current evolution throughout the UK. Prior experience at an acquirer strongly preferred
- A demonstrated track record of success and strong acumen in commercial negotiations with the ability to effectively liaise with multiple levels of stakeholders internally and externally
- Familiarity with the payments industry including recent and upcoming changes such as the growth of Faster Payments, PSD2, SCA enforcement, contactless limit increases and Open Banking, and the opportunities they presents for the industry
- Dexterity and appetite to straddle the roles of relationship manager, program manager, and analytics manager, interrogating new payment network rules, contract changes, and working with account managers at banks and network partners
- Interest in advocating for small business and technology in the payments landscape in the UK and internationally
- Understanding of a neo bank's acquiring operational model and cost structures preferred
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.