Software Engineer, Backend, Risk & Data Science
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees around the world with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and continue to value working across time zones and continents both remotely and in our Cash App offices.
Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Block operates. We tailor our experience to champion our employees’ creativity and productivity wherever they are.
Check out our locations, benefits and more at cash.app/careers.
The Risk & Data Science engineering team at Afterpay works on building new and important experiences for customers. These experiences tend to associate and coordinate multiple domain areas and teams with a potential large impact on the business. As a Senior Engineer on the team, you will be responsible for bringing these experiences from vision to reality.
We are much more than our job descriptions, but here’s where you will begin….
- Responsible for designing, building, and owning the services and infrastructure that manage Afterpay’s financial risk. You will build web applications, design highly available services, and work with complex distributed systems
- Collaborate with product managers, data analysts, and data scientists on planning and implementing frictionless user experiences
- Own features and functions throughout their lifecycle from inception, rollout, launch, scale, and iteration
- Work in cross-functional Product teams responsible for the discovery, delivery, and validation of product features via microservices, APIs, web-apps, and data pipelines
- Work with the software engineering team following our software development principles, guided by the Staff Engineers and Engineering Managers.
Who are you?
Like us, you’ll be deeply committed to delivering positive outcomes for customers and passionate about shaping the future of Afterpay.
- Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Familiarity with popular technologies, such as, Spring boot, Hibernate, RESTful API, gRPC, Kafka, Flink, Redis, Cassandra, AWS, etc.
- Enthusiastic about solving business problems with technology and can take ownership of an end-to-end solution
- Passionate about continuously learning new technologies, frameworks, and services
- Possess an execution mindset and the ability to deliver with cross-functional teams that are globally distributed
- Serious about testing and have experience with automated testing frameworks
- Exceptional written and verbal technical communication skills
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.