Senior Software Engineer, Backend (Shopping Platform)
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees around the world with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and continue to value working across time zones and continents both remotely and in our Cash App offices.
Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Block operates. We tailor our experience to champion our employees’ creativity and productivity wherever they are.
Check out our locations, benefits and more at cash.app/careers.
Shopping Platform is a new team with a focus on building core e-commerce shopping functionality (navigation, search, filtering, product feeds, storefronts, product pages, etc.) that helps users discover and buy the products they want on Cash app, Afterpay.com website & mobile app. We have a unique opportunity for a backend Software Engineer to join our team and make an immediate impact on our product by getting involved early on. As an engineer on our team, you will influence many aspects of our business through building software that powers the shopping experience and the content platform. This is an exciting opportunity to make a direct, tangible impact on our product and work on projects that are pivotal to our team’s success and our company’s growth.
We are much more than our job descriptions, but here’s where you will begin….
- Responsible for designing, building, and owning highly available services and infrastructure that enables commerce experience on Afterpay & Cash app
- Contribute to our backend services written in Kotlin, Ruby along with other modern stacks running on AWS/Kubernetes.
- Collaborate with product managers, data analysts, data scientists on planning and implementing frictionless user experiences of product features through microservices, APIs, web-apps.
- Own features and functions throughout their lifecycle from inception, rollout, launch, scale and iteration.
Who are you?
Like us, you’ll be deeply committed to delivering impactful outcomes for customers and passionate about our mission of economic empowerment for all.
- BA/MS/PhD in computer science or a related field.
- Experience in architecturing large scale distributed systems.
- 5-8+ years of software development or equivalent experience
- Boundless curiosity, persistence and a desire to get things done
- Experience in and passion for mentoring & coaching junior developers within teams.
- Enthusiastic about solving business problems with technology and can take ownership of an end-to-end solution.
- Possess an execution mindset and the ability to deliver with cross-functional teams that are globally distributed.
Technologies we use and teach
- Java, Kotlin, Ruby
- MySQL, Dynamo, ElasticSearch, PostgreSQL
- gRPC and Protocol Buffers
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- DataDog, Prometheus, SignalFx, New Relic, Sumo Logic
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $192,400 - USD $235,200
Zone C: USD $182,300 - USD $222,800
Zone D: USD $172,200 - USD $210,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.