Senior Software Engineer (Server), Square Appointments
- San Francisco, CA, United States
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
Square Appointments helps service professionals manage their calendar on the go. With Square’s online scheduling software, customers can always get access to their availability and confirm their appointments seamlessly online. Our merchants can easily keep their schedules open and attract new business—even when they're done for the day.
Our server team owns the backend that powers all of Square Appointments and includes the public Bookings API. As a backend engineer in Square Appointments, you will develop best-in-class bookings software to meet the needs of our sellers and developers.
- Work closely with other engineers and product managers to design and build delightful software experiences
- Build and maintain services owned by our team
- Be responsible for the entirety of your features; including design, implementation, automated testing, and rollout
- Ship reliable software through continuous integration, test automation, and in-depth code reviews
- Grow as an engineer, and as you do you'll lift others around you
- 5+ years relevant industry (or additional academic) experience
- Strong familiarity with Ruby and/or Rails
- First hand experience building products at scale
- Experience executing complex, medium-to-large feature releases that span multiple months
- Demonstrated collaboration with co-workers on cross-functional teams and in other locations
Languages and technologies we use and teach:
- Languages: Ruby, Java
- Frameworks: Rails, RSpec, Sidekiq, gRPC, Guice
- Infrastructure: MySQL, Redis, Kafka
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.