Front End Staff Engineer, Open Source, TBD
TBD is on the mission to build an Open Source platform and protocols that enable developers — from startups to established financial institutions — more easily create solutions in the decentralized financial space that further our mission of economic empowerment globally. Learn a little more about our mission and hear from our Cofounder, Emily Chiu, check out this video.
You will be an essential contributor as we build towards our mission and you will report to the Head of Decentralized Identity in TBD.
We're building the next generation of the decentralized web – returning data back to users. As a Front End Staff Engineer, you'll be tackling Big Problems. We want you to bring your experience, expertise, and creativity to bear: welcoming people into an easy-to-use internet economy, giving them control over their data, and bringing a necessary decentralized identity layer to the web
This is a high-level frontend generalist role which reflects the fluid nature of our work. There are wonderful advancements in decentralized and blockchain technologies right now - and we bring these together to work to solve real pain points for everyday people, globally. If you're an excellent candidate for this role, you love a grand challenge. You will:
- Develop standard components and systems that make up the backbone of TBD's front end open source efforts.
- Bootstrap TBD's front end open source architecture.
- Guide others in a senior capacity.
- Apply a user-centric approach to UX and component development
- Deliver in grey spaces and bring leadership to teams working together.
- Want to direct your work around a mission we all believe will usher a new wave of inclusion and innovation for the web.
- Get excited by collaborative environments, with a track record of diving into others' work or prototyping new things on your own to Get Stuff Done around a shared vision.
- Enjoy leveraging your technical influence to build motivated, positive, feedback-focused teams.
- Have led public development open source efforts, or are committed to learning how to be amazing at it.
- Appreciate the subject matter expertise of your colleagues and view them as a resource for your own development.
- Care about testing and have earned your opinions about when to use unit, integration, and system tests.
- Are excited to advance Self-Sovereign Identity.
- Are equally excited to work on Decentralized Web Nodes and helping creators deliver decentralized applications.
- And are further excited to build out tbDEX and Web5 as the foundational projects to exchange value and enable decentralized application programming over the internet.
- Are experienced, with 12+ years delivering several types of projects at scale. You're accomplished at determining what's needed and have good tools for how to get there.
- Are a natural leader. Team members look to you for inspiration and guidance, and you excel at helping those around you reach your expertise and beyond.
- Are documentation-minded, and looking to bring your engineering experience and rigor to a nascent organization.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $192,400 - USD $235,200
Zone C: USD $182,300 - USD $222,800
Zone D: USD $172,200 - USD $210,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.