Senior Art Director, Brand Content
- Alternate Location: Los Angeles, United States
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Square is looking for an integrated Sr. Art Director to join our Global Brand Creative team. As an Art Director in our content studio, you'll concept, design, and art direct stories that are expressed through video/film, photo, interactive web, social and illustration. You may work on interactive visual storytelling, interactive tools, trend reports, social content series, branded films, organic social posts, testimonials, case studies, editorial content, sales kits, and developing creative platforms that come to life through "always on" content across many different owned channels. You understand how audiences move from platform to platform and can cater storytelling to adapt from channel to channel.
You're an expert in storytelling. As part of your professional experience, you will have worked on impactful creative integrated advertising campaigns. You have work that has drummed up social sharing and PR attention. You have an understanding and love for social media with specific channel expertise across Tiktok, YouTube, and Instagram. You are comfortable on the production side of the house, with experience briefing photographers/directors, art directing on set, and working with editors to develop final cuts. You have played around with motion design, maybe have even cut together something yourself. This is a hands-on role that works with partners in Strategy, Product Marketing, Brand Marketing, Video, Photo, Production Design, Design Technology, and Product and with external agency teams. You will report to the Creative Director, Brand Content.
You enjoy going deep on subject-matters related to entrepreneurship, community, financial independence, cultural impact of business. You will originate new and substantive ideas that define a unique perspective to our brand storytelling — you're aware and avoid the oversaturated, obvious, and stereotypical tropes.
For us, art direction isn't just a discipline—it's an understanding of how to develop compelling visual treatments, guide collaboration, and uphold design excellence to develop ideas that inspire audiences. You are conceptual, strategic, kind, passionate, and connected in the creative industry. You can share and sell ideas, and you can encourage and help others to do the same.
**For consideration, please submit a link to your portfolio along with any relevant passwords to view your work
- Lead projects, serving as the go-to art director, or only art director, on a cross-functional team
- Partner with copywriters, designers, and cross-team to translate content and marketing strategies into creative concepts
- Concept, develop, design, and art direct content that can scale across multiple channels, media, and audiences
- Iterate and communicate ideas across multiple levels of fidelity (mood boards, concept statements, design explorations, art direction boards, style frames, presentations)
- Create outstanding photography, videography direction, typography, branding application direction, and design direction
- Work with creative producers and program managers to develop project plans and ensure that projects are progressing
- Maintain a positive and supportive team mentality in an open environment while leading projects through concept to execution
- Promote work to a variety of audiences, such as all hands, executive presentations, and company-wide meetings
- 8+ years of industry experience; agency, design studio, production house, or relevant in-house marketing experience
- Expertise art directing on photo and film shoots, especially with real people or documentaries, and post production
- Experience briefing photographers and directors, and developing shot lists and art direction for content
- Experience concepting and designing digital interactive for web and social platforms
- Experience defining, building, and differentiating brands
- Understanding of industry trends and today's creative landscape—how users engage with content, and trends within marketing
- A positive, high-transparency, and collaborative approach to your work
- Experience managing or providing mentorship to junior creatives while still advancing individual assignments and goals
- Expertise in typography, composition, color, layout, design thinking, and content strategy in the design solutions you create
- Experience working in Adobe Creative Suite with expertise in Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and familiarity with Figma, Premiere and After Effects
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.