Head of Merchant Engineering - Afterpay
- San Francisco, CA, United States
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Afterpay is looking for an engineering leader to drive our Merchant APIs, products and integrations. This platform is the core engine that orchestrates billions of dollars/year between Afterpay, our merchants and our consumers. It sits at the intersection of omnichannel retail payments, risk management, and user data.
This role requires expertise in building out mission-critical systems at scale that can evolve quickly with our rapidly growing business. Additionally, we are looking for leaders with a proven record of building world-class engineering teams that focus on scalability, flexibility, and most importantly resilience and anti-fragility.
This is an exciting and unique opportunity to lead the core foundational area that powers one of the world’s largest payment networks and make a direct, tangible impact on Afterpay’s growth and success.
- Define and lead the technical roadmap for our Merchant engineering teams
- Architect and own large-scale and complex systems that facilitate consumer orders from our merchants
- Ensure our platform and infrastructure is scalable, reliable and extensible for both internal and external users
- Build and lead engineering teams on multiple continent
- Mentor and develop senior engineering talent
- Working closely with our cross-functional teams consisting of designers, product managers, and QA in an agile, fast-paced environment
- 10+ years of Engineering leadership experience
- Experience architecting and executing large-scale, performant systems that are critical to the business
- Skilled at working to build alignment, drive decision making, and communicate transparently
- Able to marry long-term thinking with short-term action
- Execution mindset and the ability to deliver with cross-functional teams that are globally distributed
- Led multiple teams and managers within a high-growth organization
- Delivered products used by millions of people
- Experience building and maintaining a culture of technical excellence, meritocracy, and accountability across large teams
- Experience leading organizations across multiple time zones and countries
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $326,300 - USD $398,800
Zone B: USD $326,300 - USD $398,800
Zone C: USD $326,300 - USD $398,800
Zone D: USD $326,300 - USD $398,800
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.