Senior Software Engineer, Merchant Connect Platform
- Seattle, WA, United States
- Employees can work remotely
At Afterpay, our mission is to power an economy in which everyone can win. We empower customers to access the things they want and need, while still allowing them to maintain financial wellness and control, by splitting payments in four, for both online and in-store purchases. We do this by connecting more than 122,000 retailers across the globe with over 19 million active customers.
We trust in the next generation and share a vision of a more accessible and sustainable world in which people are rewarded for doing the right thing. And as a part of Block, Inc., (NYSE: SQ), we’re united by our shared purpose of economic empowerment. Ready to shape an economy in which everyone wins?
Afterpay has an exciting opportunity as a Backend Engineer to join our Merchant Connect Platform team. You have the opportunity to make an immediate impact on our products that are crucial to the customer’s success. As a Software Engineer on the team you'll be responsible for designing, building, extending and maintaining Merchant APIs, Payment Gateways, Authentication systems and Data Pipelines within the Merchant domain. You will also contribute to collaborative projects across the wider Afterpay<>Square<>Cash ecosystem.
We are working on expanding our payment network to new merchants, improve merchant experience and increase Afterpay as a payment method adoption on various ecommerce platforms.
If you enjoy backend focused engineering then this team will be perfect for you.
- Scope, build and enhance systems & services using Kotlin, Java and related open source technologies.
- Be responsible for designing, building, and owning highly available services that manage Afterpay’s merchant systems.
- Own features and functions throughout their lifecycle from inception, rollout, launch, scale and iteration.
- Work on cross functional initiatives across Square and Cash ecosystems.
- BA/MS/PhD in Computer Science or a related field
- A demonstrable and strong track record of building highly scalable, performant and resilient software systems
- Experienced in building and maintaining applications that utilize modern programming languages like Kotlin, Java, Typescript
- Ideally has experience working or can quickly pickup technologies such as DynamoDB, Postgres, Kafka, Redis
- Possess an execution mindset and the ability to deliver with cross-functional teams that are globally distributed
- Great communication skills, able to discuss engineering trade-offs without hesitation
- Experience with functional programming languages such as Elixir
- Experience working on security features such as authentication or authorization
Technologies we use:
- Java, Kotlin, Typescript, Elixir
- Spring Boot, Node
- DynamoDB, Postgres, Kafka, SQS
- AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, Helm
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $167,300 - USD $204,500
Zone B: USD $158,900 - USD $194,300
Zone C: USD $150,600 - USD $184,000
Zone D: USD $142,200 - USD $173,800
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.