CI Site Reliability Engineer
- San Francisco, CA, United States
- Alternate Location: Atlanta, United States
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
CI (Continuous Integration) Site Reliability Engineers at Square are hybrid systems and automation engineers integral to designing and managing our distributed continuous infrastructure. CI SREs build systems with an eye towards improving developer productivity, performance, and reliability.
CI Site Reliability Engineers have a major impact across Square, and especially in Hardware, through building and operating our on-prem data centers and AWS infrastructure, and optimizing mission-critical internal applications. We’re looking for engineers who want to be a part of developing, maintaining, and scaling this infrastructure via software tooling and automation.
- Build scalable infrastructure to manage CI systems (both on-prem and AWS) and applications.
- Minimize risk of reliability related failure outcomes as pertaining to durability, availability, performance.
- Drive improvement projects and handle incidents in an effective and organized manner.
- Collaborate across multiple teams including IT Support, Production Platform Engineering, Hardware Engineering, and Devices Software Engineering.
- Build automation tools to detect and remediate system health, and prevent those issues from reoccurring.
- Build automation to help with capacity planning to scale our on-prem and CI AWS infrastructure.
- Perform periodic on-call duty to handle availability and efficiency of the continuous integration infrastructure.
- BS or higher in Computer Science or equivalent technical experience.
- 2+ years of industry experience architecting, developing, and troubleshooting large scale infrastructure.
- 1+ years of experience in at least one of the following programming languages: Python, Go, Ruby.
- Strong system/network debugging skills.
- Strong knowledge of TCP/IP networking, network, and application-level security.
- Experience with management/automation tools such as Chef/Ansible/SALT.
- Consistent track record of coordinating or leading small cross-team technical projects.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $125,600 - USD $153,600
Zone B: USD $119,300 - USD $145,900
Zone C: USD $113,000 - USD $138,200
Zone D: USD $106,800 - USD $130,600
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.