Head of Compliance & MLRO, Square
Square is looking for a Head of Compliance & Money Laundering Reporting Officer (MLRO) to join our team in the UK, who will hold the CF 10 and CF 11 function according to the FCA's requirements and report to the regional Chief Compliance Officer for Europe. You will drive implementation of compliance control, processes and required operations under the regulatory and AML/CTF programs. The successful candidate will work as an integrated part of our global Compliance team, leveraging the broader organization and resources to ensure that we maintain an effective AML/CTF program and meet all our regulatory compliance obligations. This role is essential to Square's success in the UK and will work with colleagues across Compliance, Legal, Payments and Industry Relations, Finance, Risk, Internal Audit, Product, and Sales and Marketing.
This role must be based in the United Kingdom.
- Act as the Firm's nominated compliance officer CF 10 and the MLRO CF 11.
- Drive a culture of compliance across the business with a focus on the voice of the consumer.
- Develop AML and financial crime processes, and ensure the implementation and appropriate controls that reflect business and regulatory requirements
- Facilitate risk-based Know Your Customer and Transaction Monitoring programmes to detect unusual activity and investigate and report suspicious activity in accordance to regulatory requirements
- Build relationships with relevant authorities, payment schemes, and regulators to ensure we operate according to the latest Financial Crime trends
- Ensure accurate responses and reports to the Regulator.
- Oversee the operations of the UK Compliance team, including training, capacity planning, tracking team and individual Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), and Key Risk Indicators (KRIs) for the programme
- Work with Compliance leads to provide strategic planning, organisational structure, focus areas, and quarterly goals and key results
- Work with all relevant partners, financial institution partners, card networks and regulatory authorities
- Conduct compliance review and analysis of new regulatory developments and maintain oversight of developments affecting business activities
- Prepare reports to senior management and Board of Directors to communicate all relevant compliance issues and escalate any important or high risk compliance issues
- Work with internal compliance teams (such as Governance, Product Advisory, Quality Control) to identify clear steps necessary to avoid regulatory risks and provide solutions
- 8+ years of experience in a complex, financial services firm, or related e-money/payments industry with experience to operate at a Head of Compliance, MLRO or Deputy MLRO level
- 5+ years of people management experience
- Operational knowledge in building and running a sound compliance programme, with hands-on knowledge and an understanding of regulatory requirements for the UK
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with senior management and third-party stakeholders
- Ability to build collaborative working relations with peers, colleagues and with remote based teams with individuals at all levels of the organisation
- Experience with data visualisation tools
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.