Sr. Embedded Connectivity Engineer, Android OS
- San Francisco, CA, United States
- Employees can work remotely
Within Block's Hardware organization, the SQUID Platform Team provides the core OS that powers Square's Register and Terminal hardware products. Block takes pride in our product experience from manufacturing to end- customer experience, and this team works closely with partner teams throughout the hardware and software product lifecycle, from hardware manufacturing to the Android app teams. We work with external vendors on part selection and initial hardware bringup, with a focus on customizing Android for Square's state-of-the-art security posture. The role involves embedded software design, development, and validation of wireless systems across cellular, WiFi and Bluetooth technologies for our products. You'll report to our SQUID Platform Engineering Manager.
- Contribute to our wireless connectivity stack – Cellular, WiFi, Bluetooth/BLE on our Android OS
- Work with cellular carriers to implement solutions for SIM card fleet management
- Develop telemetry and contribute to building an analytics platform enabling data collection, analysis and visualization of data reported from our products
- Contribute to test automation frameworks to validate existing and new connectivity features.
- Triage and debug wireless connectivity issues and provide support to Quality Assurance, Manufacturing, and other software partner teams.
- Develop and ship these connectivity features on our Android OS platform, launching across several products simultaneously
- 6+ years embedded development experience
- 2+ years working with connected devices
- Expertise in embedded code (C/C++)
- Solid understanding of networking concepts (Ethernet, TCP/IP, etc.).
- Familiarity with wireless technologies (Cellular/WiFi/Bluetooth/BLE) and previous exposure to Android’s RIL is a big plus
- Experience with launching an Android based product using a pre-certified cellular module is a plus
- Experience with interacting with carriers for SIM card activation / fleet management is a plus
- Familiarity with embedded interfaces (UART, I2C, SPI, PCIe, etc.) is a plus
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $192,400 - USD $235,200
Zone C: USD $182,300 - USD $222,800
Zone D: USD $172,200 - USD $210,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.