Group Product Manager, Data Platform
- San Francisco, CA, United States
- Employees can work remotely
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers!
Cash Cloud Platform is the underpinning of all of Cash App’s products. We build our platform atop AWS, lean heavily on best of breed open source infrastructure like Kubernetes, Istio, Envoy, Kafka, Flink, Prometheus, MySQL, and TiDB to deliver a world-class platform that is reliable, scalable, and a joy for Cash’s engineers to use, to ship product features rapidly while balancing all the rigor and security expected from a financial platform. We think of the Platform as a product in its own right, where all of Cash Engineering are our customers.
The Data Platform org is specifically responsible for delivering a reliable and robust cloud data platform that spans multiple services across the portfolio - We provide data infrastructure and provisioning services, eventing and pub/sub capabilities, data streaming and pipelines, workflows and scheduling tooling and analytics infrastructure and services.
We are looking for an experienced technical product leader with some engineering background and domain experience, to help us hone our customer-centric thinking and work closely with internal stakeholders and the organization’s leadership to ensure we provide the best possible data platform for our engineers.
- Ideation: Work closely with stakeholders including Product and Platform engineers, and leadership across the organization (“internal customers”) to discover and document platform challenges, opportunities and use cases
- Backlog Management: Act as a product owner and manage the product backlog, continuously grooming and prioritizing items based on changing requirements
- Features: Understand stakeholder needs by conducting surveys, interviews, and other information-gathering exercises
- Launches: Work with Platform teams to coordinate product launches deliver a complete customer experience, including scheduling office hours and communicating rollout progress
- Understand success: Create and measure outcomes using metrics, adjust and iterate as needed until key results are realized.
- Evangelization: Socialize Cloud Platform’s work with stakeholders to drive adoption
- Working with vendors: Participate in vendor selection and evaluation
- 10+ years of relevant experience, with at least 3 in Product Management
- A humble and scrappy get-it-done mindset
- An analytical and data-driven mindset to measuring outcomes over output
- Comfort with ambiguity; the ability to independently lay out and test clear hypotheses, and solve problems without well-defined direction
- Experience working with engineers as customers, either in developer tools, APIs, or infrastructure products
- Technical understanding of AWS Cloud infrastructure and data capabilities (data infrastructure, eventing, data engineering, analytics capabilities, dashboarding and querying languages)
- Excellent communication, organizational and leadership skills; ability to inspire team members
- Experience with the common challenges in cross-functional working groups, including balancing competing demands and priorities
- Strong customer empathy and experience shaping platform and portfolio direction and execution based on customer needs and organizational priorities
- Self-motivation and a proactive attitude with demonstrated creative and critical thinking capabilities
- Experience working within a global, distributed team
- An engineering background
- Experience with Agile Scrum/Kanban development methodologies
- Experience with Jira Software
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone B: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone C: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone D: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.