Senior Data Analyst, Financial Crimes Technology
- Alternate Location: New York, United States
The Square Financial Crimes Technology team at Block finds and reports financial crimes activity across Square. We work globally with partners in business, engineering, counsel, and product to provide a safe user experience for our customers while minimizing and potentially eliminating bad activity on our platform.
You will report to the Square Financial Crimes Data Science Lead. As a Senior Data Analyst, you will partner with Compliance Operations, Governance, Product, and Engineering teams to design, build, and test methods of identifying financial crime while ensuring regulatory requirements are satisfied.
- Build data solutions to ensure that new product launches are adequately protected against bad actors.
- Respond to emerging threats of bad activity by quickly deploying effective solutions.
- Assess detection procedures and policies against regulatory requirements.
- Work with non-technical partners and product teams to understand their needs, translate business requirements into applicable data requirements, and come up with data driven solutions.
- Be responsible for monitoring the efficacy and efficiency of all detection and decision methods.
- Partner with machine learning engineers and data scientists to evaluate models developed and to use them in production.
- Perform ad-hoc analytical projects that will power real-time and long-term solutions for business problems.
- Design and operationalize monitoring queues that detect suspicious activity across Square globally.
- 5+ years of related experience; or 3+ years and a Master's degree; or equivalent work experience.
- High proficiency in SQL (Snowflake, BigQuery, MySQL or similar) and data visualization tools like Looker or Tableau; Airflow, Github, Python familiarity is a plus.
- Experience using data to solve complex, ambiguous, high-impact, cross-functional problems.
- Vision to proactively assess potential challenges and manage projects in a fast-paced, evolving organization along with the ability to bring data to life for any audience through data visualization.
- Experience with financial crimes compliance systems, technologies and processes, especially AML transaction monitoring typologies and rules is a big plus.
- A practical approach to problem-solving and prioritization.
- Strong communication ability with both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- An interest in advancing Square’s vision of economic empowerment for sellers globally.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $138,200 - USD $169,000
Zone B: USD $128,500 - USD $157,100
Zone C: USD $121,700 - USD $148,700
Zone D: USD $110,600 - USD $135,200
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.