Creative Developer, Square Staff
- Portland, OR, United States
- Employees can work remotely
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
For consideration, please submit a link to your portfolio/work samples.
As a Creative Developer, you'll be an important member of a creative team specialized in creating digital experiences and marketing campaigns. You will be part of a small studio creative team working with Square Staff Marketing and report to the Creative Director. Our team's mission is to tell the best possible stories of our team management products and ecosystem so that our sellers and their employees can succeed.
You will help bring technology to the creative process; the front-end interactions you bring to life will create remarkable experiences for our sellers.
- Participate in concept development iteration, partnering on projects from ideation and design through implementation.
- Take creative direction and expand on concept ideas for tactics, with a solid and active contribution in creative reviews.
- Oversee hands-on technical development, from prototypes coming out of ideation through to final launch/G2M production code.
- Contribute to discussions about the digital aspects of creative campaigns.
- Present ideas or prototypes to mixed client marketing / technical audiences.
- Work creatively through and around perceived limitations and challenges imposed by the delivery platform to create delightful customer experiences.
- Evaluate and document any creative and engineering standards or patterns that could arise from your work.
- 2+ years of relevant work experience
- BS in Computer Science or a related technical field
- Back-end development – Familiarity of Ruby, Java, or other back-end languages
- Familiarity building in and working with CMS's
- Portfolio of work that displays design, high-fidelity animation, motion, iconography, typography, color, and imagery
- Understanding of web standards, browser performance, and best practices
- Experience with digital marketing, advertising, and understanding metrics
- Advocate for technology and choosing the right tool for the job
- Familiarity with modern design tools (Figma, Adobe After Effects, Cinema 4D)
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $152,100 - USD $185,900
Zone B: USD $144,500 - USD $176,700
Zone C: USD $136,900 - USD $167,300
Zone D: USD $129,300 - USD $158,100
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.