Software Automation Engineering Manager
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Our hardware team builds the tangible connection to all that is Square. We started with a simple Reader that turns any phone or tablet into a mobile point of sale. Since then, we have expanded our hardware footprint to meet the needs of more sellers. Most recently, we introduced our first Android-based solutions: Square Register, the first integrated point of sale that enables people to start selling right out of the box, and Square Terminal, the all-in-one device for payments and receipts. You will ensure our sellers and their customers have a remarkable experience by shaping our device software validation strategy for our Square hardware products across embedded platforms.
- Build and deploy tests to accelerate development of the hardware and firmware for Square products including Terminal and Register
- Work with engineering and product stakeholders to determine what to automate, when, and how
- Write and maintain test infrastructure that makes use of hardware peripherals to simulate a variety of conditions our devices will encounter when in customers' hands
- Support debugging and triage of internal and external customer-facing issues
- Leverage and extend existing internal infrastructure where it suits our testing and analytics needs - and evaluate and deploy third party applications where appropriate
- Provide technical leadership and oversight to the team
- 2+ years of engineering management experience
- 5+ years of experience writing, deploying, and maintaining software and/or test systems
- Experience building systems for automated validation of software projects with many contributors
- Experience with at least some of the following:
- python or ruby
- CI pipeline products (jenkins, github, buildkite, datadog, ...)
- build tooling (everything from make to embedded toolchains)
- Interest in applying your software development skills to all levels of our stack, from deploying cloud services to instrumenting low-level custom hardware
- Experience shipping consumer electronics products
- Experience with automated quality testing of consumer electronics
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $192,400 - USD $235,200
Zone C: USD $182,300 - USD $222,800
Zone D: USD $172,200 - USD $210,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.