International Indirect Tax Manager - Planning
Block is looking for an International Indirect Tax Manager, reporting to the International Indirect Tax Director, to join our tax function. You will be part of the Tax Team and will support all International indirect tax planning, consulting, controversy, and compliance, reporting, audits and integration activities. You will work closely and proactively within the tax team and numerous teams across our organization. You may be remote or located in one of Block offices in the US.
- Help with legal and tax research related to different Block products in multiple countries, draft memorandum and other written documents, maintain knowledge of past, present and potential future international tax laws, guidances, and court decisions that are applicable to the primary business.
- Provide analysis on a variety of international indirect tax inquiries from the business.
- Lead the implementation of processes, finding solutions and effectives ways, as a result of evolving business practices or tax legislation.
- Support international indirect tax planning, expansion and potential acquisitions.
- Lead and ensure efficient closure of all international indirect tax audits and tax assessment notices.
- Help with aspects of the indirect tax compliance, which includes the management of the different source data, review the work papers prepared internally or by a third-party provider, ensure that all activities occur are completed.
- Help with the review monthly indirect tax accruals and reconciliations for key accounts for SOX control purposes.
- Lead with the overall ASC 450-20 process every quarter (e.g. review of the reserve position, discuss new position, put together memo for review by Tax and Corporate management).
- Help implement software solutions for indirect tax automation; identify, develop, and direct the implementation of technology tools and process improvements to reduce low-value work and increase tax resource productivity/focus on more value-added work
- Build relationships with third-party service providers, Square's finance, system, counsel and accounting professionals to ensure that the Indirect Tax requirements are met.
- Partner with and lead a team of motivated tax professionals;
- Support tax leadership in establishing and refining tax policies and system workflows.
- Lead educational sessions on developments in tax legislation and case law.
- 7+ years of tax experience working at a public accounting firms, law firm OR equivalent experience at a multinational corporation focused on international indirect tax
- You have a detailed understanding of common principles of international indirect tax and ability to apply them to the business - i.e. country-specific or multi-jurisdictional indirect tax consulting and indirect tax compliance
- Experience with project, people management and organization skills
- Familiarity with FinTech, streaming, or e-commerce sales taxation trends and the international indirect tax implications
- A great sense of accuracy and problem-resolution skills.
- Ability to seek out and implement internal or external best practices, required
- Demonstrated passion and experience delivering results in rapidly changing business environment.
- Will analyze all sides of an argument, document tax positions for our auditors, and ensure that the proper checks and balances are in place to ensure all aspects have been considered.
- CPA or Master's in Taxation and/or JD/LLM
- Global indirect tax experience in the technology industry and/or multinational company
- Experience using G-suite applications (Spreadsheet, Docs, Slides, etc.)
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $152,100 - USD $185,900
Zone B: USD $141,500 - USD $172,900
Zone C: USD $133,800 - USD $163,600
Zone D: USD $121,700 - USD $148,700
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.