Engineering Manager, Security - Cash App
- New York, NY, USA
- Employees can work remotely
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app, bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our millions of monthly active users. With a mission to redefine the world's relationship with money by making it more relatable, instantly available and universally accessible, at Cash App you'll have the opportunity to make a real-world impact with your career.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees around the world with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and continue to value working across time zones and continents both remotely and in our Cash App offices.
Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Block operates. We tailor our experience to champion our employees’ creativity and productivity wherever they are.
Check out our locations, benefits and more at cash.app/careers
The Cash Product Security team is a security-enabling engineering team focused on scaling security as a discipline through innovation. As a security team, we collaborate on building and sharing security infrastructure, design patterns, and guidelines. As a product team, we enhance product experiences, ship production code aimed at securing our customer’s data, and give privacy / security considerations a voice across the organization.
Inspired by the World Health Organization’s (WHO) Biosafety Manual, we developed a Data Safety framework to guide our handling and storage of Customer data that is intended to be actionable for both automation and manual processes. Cash’s Data Safety team is charged with building and owning the automated systems that make Data Safety natural for Cash’s highly-autonomous engineering teams, data scientists, and data analysts.
- Manage and grow a team of experienced and passionate security engineers
- Lead and participate in technical design and product discussions with leaders across the organization and company
- Build a world-class team by hiring exceptional talent, coaching and developing engineers, cultivating pragmatic engineering decision-making, and leveraging your technical expertise to constantly raise the bar
- A strong motivation to contribute to a meaningful product that will fundamentally change the way people interact with financial institutions
- Passion for security, privacy and data mesh engineering problems
- 2+ years experience directly managing security engineers (including providing mentorship, feedback, and investing in the career growth of your team members)
- Boundless curiosity, persistence and a grounded approach to getting things done
- A track record of healthy collaboration with product managers, engineers, and other engineering managers on developing roadmaps and executing them
Tools we use and teach:
- Jupyter notebooks, Tableau, Mode, Looker
- GCP DLP, AWS Macie
- Snowflake, BigTable / Query
- Event and streaming compute architectures
- AWS KMS and Google’s Tink Cryptographic APIs
- Kotlin, Go
- MySQL, DynamoDB
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $222,800 - USD $272,300
Zone B: USD $211,600 - USD $258,600
Zone C: USD $200,500 - USD $245,100
Zone D: USD $189,400 - USD $231,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.