Software Engineer, Payment Pricing & Cost Platform
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Square processes billions of dollars worth of transactions every year. At that scale, even small optimizations can lead to huge business impact. Payment Pricing & Cost Platform makes data-driven improvements to core payment profitability by focusing on pricing and cost of a payment. This work has a direct impact on Square’s profitability and financial success. The team's engineers work together closely with data scientists and analysts. It invents and develops innovative pricing models such as custom pricing and cost-plus to make Square's pricing better for sellers.
Pricing Platform - as Square’s product ecosystem grows, we need to support ever changing pricing requirements and invent new pricing structures to ensure we always provide our sellers with fair and competitive pricing.
Cost Platform – We use cutting edge cloud data infrastructure to provide a stable data foundation to calculate transaction cost real time.
- Design scalable and reliable systems that solve the problems related to pricing, and costs.
- Implement the designed solutions and new features and optimize them
- Evaluate cloud-based platforms and services when choosing technology
- Work cross-functionally with our product, business, and finance teams to develop Square’s global payments strategy
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical, working experience (3+ years preferred)
- Experience in working cross-functionally and building architecting data-driven solutions
- Innate curiosity and a desire to be responsible for all aspects of reliably moving billions of dollars in a small, highly focused team
- Understanding and curiosity in creating highly available, scalable, low-latency data systems
- Interest in changing the payments landscape in the US and globally
Technologies we use:
- Java, Python
- Guice, Guava, gRPC, Protocol Buffers
- MySQL, Airflow, Tensorflow, Google Cloud Platform (BigQuery, Google Cloud Storage, DataFlow, PubSub, CloudML etc.)
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $152,100 - USD $185,900
Zone B: USD $144,500 - USD $176,700
Zone C: USD $136,900 - USD $167,300
Zone D: USD $129,300 - USD $158,100
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.