Software Engineer - Frameworks
- Chicago, IL, United States
- Employees can work remotely
As a Software Engineer on the Frameworks team, you would join a group responsible for providing the shared code every team uses to build backend applications at Block. These include integrations for a/b experiments, feature flags, logging, metrics, service-to-service communication (RPC & REST), admin user interfaces, cron jobs, databases, job queues, leader election, and more. Engineering teams across Block rely upon these offerings to rapidly develop new features, safely release to production, and monitor analytics gathered from their applications. This team reports into the Foundational Engineering organization which ensures product development is not only fast and efficient, but delightful.
- Contribute to complex projects with wide impact across the company
- Maintain and improve service frameworks used by the Ruby engineering community
- Translate functional and technical requirements into detailed architecture and design
- Enhance highly scalable microservices consumed by millions of users across several international markets
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the company in cross-functional roles
- Provide design reviews for engineering teams across Square working with our frameworks
- 2+ years of professional software development experience
- Demonstrated collaboration with co-workers on cross-functional teams and in other locations
- Strong familiarity with Ruby and/or Rails
Technologies we use and teach:
- Java, Ruby, Go
- gRPC, Protocol Buffers, JSON
- MySQL, DynamoDB, Redis, Aurora
- Kubernetes, YAML, Terraform
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.