Senior Software Engineer (Full-stack), Square for Retail
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Retailers have struggled too long with clunky, outdated and disconnected tools. Even as mammoth Retail and e-commerce forces threaten to disrupt smaller merchants, we are empowering those merchants with simple and elegant solutions to complex problems - like predictive analytics and fluid, omni-channel capabilities to meet customers wherever they are - to always make the sale. Square for Retail is one of Square’s three vertical Point of Sale solutions, focused on serving upmarket sellers. We offer a purpose-built solution to help Retailers run all aspects of their business, including complex workflows in Square Dashboard (web), a custom built Retail Point of Sale for Android and iOS. Our solution is built for retail businesses with larger catalogs, with tools for advanced inventory management and multi-channel orders.
As a senior software engineer on the Retail team, you will make high quality contributions while also guiding junior engineers to do the same. You'll work cross functionally with our product and design partners to build services that robustly serve elegant user experiences that solve complex problems that are at the very heart of retailers’ businesses.
- Leverage your expertise in back-end and front-end technologies to partner with and empower a full stack group of engineers building solutions together that meet our sellers’ challenges.
- Deliver highly impactful tools for Retail sellers to run their businesses.
- Be responsible for the entirety of your features; including API design, implementation, automated testing, and roll out.
- Create and maintain technical systems and write concise, well-organized code and sensible tests.
- Achieve the levels of reliability and correctness that merchants and buyers expect when they entrust Square with their financial and business information.
- Collaborate across teams in an agile environment to deliver solutions that solve complex business problems.
- 5+ years of software engineering experience developing scalable production software and an excellent command of engineering fundamentals.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience.
- Unwavering commitment to customer experience and the quality of your work.
- An eagerness to share your ideas, and openness to those of others.
- Empathy for your customers and colleagues.
- Motivation to build beautiful, refined and intuitive products.
- Curiosity, and a desire to learn and teach.
- Proficiency in server and front-end technologies.
- Experience with Go or Java preferred, but not required.
- Experience with Ember.js preferred, but not required.
Technologies we use and teach:
- Protocol Buffers, gRPC, Kubernetes, Terraform, SQS; Ember.js
- AWS RDS, MySQL, Elasticsearch, Snowflake
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.