Engineering Manager, Square Banking Credit Products
- Boston, MA, United States
- Employees can work remotely
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Unlike traditional business financing products, Square Banking offers a variety of credit products globally that are extended to pre-qualified sellers with no application process, funds are deposited as soon as the next business day, and repayment happens automatically as a fixed percentage of daily card sales or in a convenient preconfigured schedule. Since the product launched in 2014, Square Banking Credit has extended more than $7 billion to over a hundred thousand sellers; helping our sellers grow and generating a lot of positive great feedback..
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to lead the Banking Credit product experiences team. The team has an exciting charter to grow our existing loan and credit products to more sellers and launch our products in new global markets.
As an Engineering Manager for the Credit Product team, you will be a necessary member of our engineering organization driving the execution of our products, technology, and culture of our teams. You will manage high-performing software engineers focused on building the products and capabilities that help deliver easy access to credit at scale for Square sellers.
- Collaborate with Design, Marketing and Product counterparts to create a roadmap and strategy to build, and operate the services that power Square Banking Credit products.
- Work with your group of Engineering Managers to define metrics and goals for squads that align with goals for the broader organization and bring clarity and focus for the team.
- Build an outstanding organization by hiring experienced engineers and promoting a culture of ownership, inclusiveness, accountability, and urgency.
- Lead structure and process changes to ensure teams scale with minimal overhead.
- Mentor, coach and develop your engineering managers and engineers.
- Support the team in achieving quality and stability at Square Banking's massive scale.
- Influence Square's engineering community and contribute to organization-wide programs.
- BA/BS degree and 7+ years of software engineering experience
- 3+ years of experience managing software engineering teams and leading people
- Strong technical foundations to help support your engineering team through architecture and product changes
- Have a strong bias toward serving your team and stakeholders
- Demonstrated customer empathy
- Experience with globalization
- Experience building compliance and regulatory software
- Experience with end-to-end development including web and mobile
- Experience leading distributed teams across different time zones
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $222,800 - USD $272,300
Zone B: USD $211,600 - USD $258,600
Zone C: USD $200,500 - USD $245,100
Zone D: USD $189,400 - USD $231,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.