Senior Industrial Designer, Square Hardware
- Chicago, IL, United States
- Employees can work remotely
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
For consideration, please include a PDF, website link, Google Drive link, or an alternate way for us to view your portfolio.
The Square Hardware team builds emotion-evoking, commerce-enabling products that bring sellers to Square by providing powerful tools that are enjoyable to use. The Square Hardware team creates a tangible connection to Square and the physical manifestation of our brand. We now have a portfolio of products, from the simple and elegant little white reader to the powerful, integrated products like Square Register and Square Terminal. We continue to design, develop, manufacture, and distribute products that enable in-person commerce, empower businesses of all sizes, and connect sellers to the entire Square ecosystem. See what we offer today and imagine what you can help us build in the future: https://squareup.com/us/en/hardware.
We’re looking for an imaginative, collaborative Senior Industrial Design to join a world-class product development team with a diverse team of designers, engineers, and operators. The Senior Industrial Designer is expected to be creative and solution-focused - you will be asked to help shape the future of commerce. You will identify customers’ real struggles and define and design the remarkable experiences and products that will help them be successful.
- Work closely alongside our Head of Industrial Design, creating concepts from sketch to render with finely implemented details
- Coordinate prototyping and design work with external partners
- Make real hardware- from concept through manufacturing
- Think future forward- what are we designing in 5 or more years?
- Forge strong relationships with our teams, including product management, software design, mechanical and electrical engineering, and marketing
- Bring your designs and our products to life through compelling storytelling
- 6+ years experience as an Industrial Designer in a related field (i.e. Consumer Electronics)
- Experience leading the design of complex consumer electronics products with hardware and software elements
- Experience working at an industrial design agency or experience working in-house to deliver a product from concept to launch
- Strong examples of collaborating across departments
- Extensive experience in sketching, rendering, CAD, and rapid prototyping methods
- Product experience that spans interface design, ergonomics, and human factors
- Experience working with software designers to build a cohesive hardware + software experience
- BA in Industrial Design or equivalent experience
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $184,100 - USD $225,000
Zone B: USD $174,900 - USD $213,700
Zone C: USD $165,700 - USD $202,500
Zone D: USD $156,400 - USD $191,200
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.