Data Engineer - Business Intelligence
As a Business Intelligence Data Engineer, you will be responsible for defining, developing and managing curated datasets, key business metrics and reporting across functional units at Square. You will architect, implement and manage data models and ETLs that will enable product and business teams access consistent metrics across Square ecosystem. You are a self-starter and you are comfortable working cross-functionally with other teams across Square.
- Partner with key business stakeholders, upstream infrastructure platform engineering teams, and downstream data consumers to understand data and translate business requirements into technical design of building scalable data pipelines
- Design dashboards in Looker or Tableau to empower stakeholders monitoring pertinent KPIs through novel visualizations.
- Focus on accuracy and scalability of data pipelines ensuring it's easy to ingest new projects
- Develop and take ownership of BI data pipelines and centralized data warehouse with trustworthy curated datasets and standardized metrics and business definitions to empower data access and self-service
- Perform ad hoc analysis, insight requests, and data extractions to resolve critical business reporting issues.
- 3+ years of data engineering experience with an understanding of database management and cloud computing databases
- Experience with data warehousing architecture
- Hands on experience with data modeling and dimension modeling design
- Experience with end to end ETL pipeline development and implementation using SQL
- Experience building reports with Looker, Tableau, or similar BI visualization tools.
- Hands on experience on cloud-based computing services and data warehouses like Snowflake, Redshift, Azure, or similar
- Excellent communication skills with strong business intuition and ability to understand complex business systems and requirements
- Experience with the following tools and technologies:
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $125,600 - USD $153,600
Zone B: USD $119,300 - USD $145,900
Zone C: USD $113,000 - USD $138,200
Zone D: USD $106,800 - USD $130,600
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.