Senior Software Engineer, Financial Crimes Technology
The Financial Crimes Technology team builds systems which analyze and act on billions of dollars in blockchain, person to person, and merchant transactions across the globe to find and stop criminal activity. We design solutions and ship code with the customer-centric focus of a product organization, serving Block Compliance's financial crimes operations. Preventing known bad agents from interacting on our service reduces the chance that they negatively impact our users and upend their lives, feeding into Block's mission to bring economic empowerment to all. The Foundational Tooling subteam creates subsystems that are used by both Cash App and Square.
- Work with Cash App and Square feature teams and support launches by building tooling to expose misuse by bad actors
- Create amazing data exploration and criminal case management tools for Block's Compliance organization
- Write and deploy code across all of Block's ever-evolving architecture
- Develop and support our tools as products, with a focus on elegant solutions, usability, and our customer needs
- Build our own platform of services and data pipelines, architected for scale and
- Design to anticipate the future
- 3+ years of industry experience or equivalent doing software development
- Worked on distributed systems where data consistency and availability at scale is required
- Passion for improving economic opportunities, uncovering and preventing financial crimes, or working in the fintech space
- An iterative approach to identifying MVPs and shipping
We build distributed systems in the cloud with Kafka, AWS, and SKI. We manage our repository with Git, and use Ruby, Kotlin, and MySQL. If you don’t know any one technology, don’t worry! We’ll teach you!
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $167,300 - USD $204,500
Zone B: USD $158,900 - USD $194,300
Zone C: USD $150,600 - USD $184,000
Zone D: USD $142,200 - USD $173,800
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.