Senior UX and Design Researcher, Point of Sale and Customers
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
The Square Point of Sale and Customers team is looking for a mixed-methodology researcher to help guide and inspire our teams by uncovering meaningful human-centered insights to guide great product design and innovation. We know we can't build remarkable products without first understanding how our customers will use them in the real world, and that's where you come in. You will help connect Square with the sellers and buyers we serve—learning from their unique context, stories, and needs to ensure our products and services are relevant, useful, and delightful.
- Support design, product, and product marketing with research for Square's core Point of Sale app and complementary products including Invoices, Virtual Terminal, Customer Directory, Marketing, Loyalty, Gift Cards, and Franchise Suite.
- Work with team members to identify research needs from small to large initiatives and help the team frame research goals and ask the right questions.
- Design and execute research projects to support a cross-functional team on several domains, including customer needs, product design, segmentation, and customer communications.
- Employ both qualitative and quantitative research methods to obtain insights about our users' behaviors and attitudes, and develop recommendations for the product and design teams.
- Provide guidance and training on research tools and techniques to facilitate self-serve UX research.
- Advocate the customer perspective within the POS and Customers team and across Square.
- 8+ years of experience leading research projects in a professional environment.
- Relevant experience conducting a variety of research affecting all aspects of business and product development —from exploratory research to usability studies to in-market surveys.
- Experience leading or co-leading both deep dive and quick-turn ad hoc research.
- Agile approach to adapting research practices to meet team needs under tight timeframes.
- Focus on improving the product and user experience in an iterative and collaborative environment.
- Experience designing and leading qualitative fieldwork using a range of techniques (e.g. remote and in-person usability testing, 1:1 interviews, concept testing, ethnographies, focus groups, co-creation workshops, etc.)
- A willingness to get hands-on and personally recruit participants.
- Experience conducting survey research end-to-end including questionnaire development, programming, sample management, data weighting, analysis, and reporting.
- Familiarity with quantitative methods for market research (e.g. NPS/customer satisfaction, segmentation, market sizing, pricing, etc.) is not required but a plus.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.