Technical Program Manager, Incident Management
Block is one company built from many blocks, all united by the same purpose of economic empowerment. The blocks that form our foundational teams — People, Finance, Counsel, Hardware, Information Security, Platform Infrastructure Engineering, and more — provide support and guidance at the corporate level. They work across business groups and around the globe, spanning time zones and disciplines to develop inclusive People policies, forecast finances, give legal counsel, safeguard systems, nurture new initiatives, and more. Every challenge creates possibilities, and we need different perspectives to see them all. Bring yours to Block.
We’re hiring for a Senior Technical Program Manager - Incident Management for the Reliability and Incident Management TPM team in Foundational Engineering. The Reliability and Incident Management Team is focused on driving our longer term Reliability and Incident Management roadmap across Square and enabling more predictable outcomes for our engineers and sellers under fire through processes, tooling and frameworks..
We’re looking for a TPM to coordinate and drive large-scale Incident Management initiatives at Square. You will help to report on organizational-level incident management trends. You will deliver projects that improve developer productivity during the incident management lifecycle. You will use your program leadership skills and expertise in Incident Management and Technical Operations to deliver successful project outcomes.
Note this role will report into our TPM Lead for Reliability and Incident Management and partner closely with our Product, Customer Success and Account Management stakeholders.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Define and report on Square incident management trends
- Lead planning and execution of large scale initiatives related to Incident Management and coordinate cross-functional dependencies
- Define and develop overall integration and rollout strategy for Incident Management tooling
- Establish processes and frameworks for Incident and Vulnerability Management within Foundation Engineering, such as triage and intake of Incident Management and Vulnerability AIs
- Work with teams to clarify objectives, KPIs and success criteria and communicate blockers, risks and outcomes to management
- Take a data-driven approach to program management, building tools and leveraging data to drive stakeholder buy-in
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Computer Information Systems and/or equivalent work experience in related technical field
- 5+ years of technical program management experience in agile software development environment; proven track record leading large migration and/or integration projects
- Fluency in Agile project management methodologies (such as Kanban, Scrum, or SAFe) and have active project management certification (PMP, CSM, etc)
- Solid understanding of SDLC and familiarity with software architecture and design
- Firm grasp of ITIL and/or ITSM concepts
- Prior experience with a public cloud such as AWS, GCP, etc.
- Experience with data manipulation and analysis
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong collaboration skills; comfortable working with senior management and explaining technical subject matter to non-technical business partners
Nice to have:
- Experience and comfort in managing remote, distributed project teams
- Prior experience in Technical Operations or as an Incident Manager is a huge plus
- Experience with work productivity software such as Jira, Google Suite, SmartSheets
- Experience with incident management tools such as Incident.io, Blameless, FireHydrant
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.