Software Engineer (Server) - Inventory
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
As a software engineer on the Inventory Foundations team, you will be launching and maintaining critical features that help all Square sellers manage their inventory and make informed decisions for their businesses: our team’s mission is to create absolute trust in inventory for sellers and build great experiences for the other Square teams to leverage in their vertical-specific solutions. We work closely with product, design and marketing to ensure we’re always taking a holistic approach to how best serve our merchants.
In addition to seller-facing features, your team is responsible for the Inventory API, used by thousands of developers building key integrations. You will utilize modern cloud-based database technologies to improve performance and scale to handle the future needs of our merchants and Square.
We work closely with product, design and marketing to ensure we’re always taking a holistic approach to how best serve our merchants. As a growing team we like to move quickly, and expect engineers to have a large impact on the road-map, product and technology.
- Build a highly scalable, reliable, and performant platform that can scale to handle the needs of our merchants
- Lead architectural and design discussions, ensuring our platform is performant, fault tolerant, and maintainable
- Provide input to aid in the technical decisions and direction for the team and mentor other engineers
- Design fault tolerant systems so the team can be brave, move fast, and break things, without ever showing a negative impact to customers.
- Be given opportunities to stretch yourself by learning new technologies and working with engineers and other partners
- 6+ years of industry experience, preferably with a B.S. or equivalent.
- Experience building and maintaining highly scalable and performant distributed systems
- Technical initiative and a desire to make those around you better
- Experience with incident response, including disaster recovery
- Eagerness to share your own ideas, and openness to those of others.
- Experience implementing Data Storage services at scale with one or more of the following databases: MySQL, TiDB, DynamoDB, Amazon RDS, Elasticsearch
- A knack for creating readable, well-crafted, maintainable code.
Technologies we use and teach:
- Protocol Buffers, gRPC
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $192,400 - USD $235,200
Zone C: USD $182,300 - USD $222,800
Zone D: USD $172,200 - USD $210,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.