Senior Software Engineer (Frontend), Website Editor
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business — and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
Square's Ecommerce Editor Team owns the Online Store website editor, which allows thousands of sellers to quickly and easily create their own online store from scratch. We’re seeking a full stack engineer who is passionate about working on both our large scale front-end editor application, and the back-end system supporting it. You will help build features to create a world-class e-commerce experience for both our sellers and their customers.
- Improve our website builder and online store platform,
- Build elegant user-facing web experiences that combine intuitive interfaces with smooth performance at scale,
- Write testable and well-documented frontend and backend code,
- Build systems that manage sensitive customer data while holding Square to the highest standards for security and compliance,
- And work with an amazing group of engineers while leveraging your technical expertise to constantly raise the bar.
- 3+ years of practical experience building frontend applications (we use VueJS),
- 3+ years of practical full stack development work experience (ideally using PHP, and even Laravel),
- Experience building large web applications in a distributed environment and can make pragmatic engineering decisions,
- Interest in working full-stack, from optimizing database transactions, to building distributed systems, and frontend web applications,
- And a track record of pursuing self-directed side projects, research, or open source projects.
Web Technologies we use:
- PHP with Laravel
- MySQL, Elasticsearch, Redis, Memcached, RabbitMQ
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.