Data Scientist, Risk
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
We are looking for a Data Scientist to join our Risk Machine Learning & Decision Science team. You'll build processes to root out high-risk activity across the Square platform of products. You will also manage top level Risk KPIs, establish core operational metrics, and make improvements through machine learning solutions or analysis.
The Risk Data Scientist will use analytical skills to identify and prevent fraud risks. You will lead experimentations to promote Risk effectiveness throughout Square. You will partner with product, engineering, operations, policies and sales to influence Squares global Risk road map and processes. You will have a chance to own the key metrics, develop data pipelines, ETL. You will also make direct impact to our key success metrics via building machine learning solutions, risk detection rule development and deployment.
- Diagnose problems and develop compelling, data-driven recommendations
- Develop and maintain multiple data pipelines and ETLs
- Partner with Product, Engineering, and operation teams to design solutions to business problems, influence product roadmaps, and solution new products/processes
- Have a chance to use machine learning tools to develop data-driven solutions.
- Promote creative risk solutions through third-party evaluation and integration with a focus on improving the seller experience
- Develop executive presentations for Squares leadership
- BS/BA in Statistics, Mathematics, Operations Research, Management Science, Computer Science, or a related technical field, OR BS/BA in Criminal Justice, Economics, Business, or a related business field
- 2+ years of relevant experience (or masters degree)
- Experience with SQL, Python and Looker
- Experience driving data-driven solutions and project-managing their implementation
- Experience answering unstructured questions and managing projects and tasks to a conclusion
- A passion for Square's mission
- Experience in risk, trust and safety, payments, or spam prevention
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.