Head of Strategic Payments Operations
- Alternate Location: New York, United States
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Payments drives awareness of the Square brand, is Square’s first touch-point with most of our sellers, and fuels the economics of the broader Square ecosystem. Industry Relations & Operations (IRO) manages all the partnerships in the payments supply chain for our global footprint. Within IRO, the Strategic Payment Operations team manages the payment partnerships that support Square’s payment products such as Identity verification, Issuing, Bank Transfer and Acquiring. In addition, this team is responsible for the program management aspects of key strategic initiatives for Square. As the Lead of this team, you will drive the performance of domestic and global partnerships that support our onboarding, payment processing and financial services. You will report to the Head of Industry Relations and Operations (IRO).
- Lead the Strategic Operations team supporting partners for identity verification, bank transfer, issuing and acquiring for the U.S. and Internationally.
- Manage all partner relationships including day to day engagements, escalations, contracts, and invoicing
- Work with all partners to identify best practices and improve points of failures, resolve partner incidents, document processes, drive performance
- Monitor performance and drive operational efficiencies, ensuring scalability and redundancy for our business in multiple markets
- Collaborate across many teams including engineering, product, finance, data science, legal, compliance, and risk to guide, support, and influence the selection and onboarding of best-in-class partners
- Support program management requirements for global initiatives for Square
- 12+ years of experience in payments with expertise in product management and operations
- A deep understanding of the payments industry and the the ability to manage strategic partnerships
- Experience building and leading a multi-disciplined team.
- Top-notch cross-functional skills to collaborate with your team and partners to achieve strategic results
- Strong relationship management skills and the demonstrated ability to negotiate complex commercial agreements, coupled with the ability to develop consensus.
- Customer-centric focus, empathetic to customer struggles, and can translate their needs into outcomes
- The successful candidate will have a demonstrated ability to deal with ambiguity; think strategically and analytically about business, product, and technical challenges; as well as earn trust with and influence others. A strong sense of ownership, drive to have an impact, and entrepreneurial spirit are musts.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills, with the ability to make strong arguments supporting Square’s position with internal and external executive stakeholders.
- Experience working with multinational teams
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone B: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone C: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone D: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.