Senior Software Engineer, Anti-Abuse
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Fraud Risk Engineering works to protect Square and our customers $25B+ in payments from fraud and payment disputes. We build systems to detect and respond to potential fraud threats, provide outstanding tools to agents for investigating fraud events, and give our customers seamless web and mobile experiences to manage and fight payment disputes. Our mission is to protect Square, protect our customers, and make a complicated and sometimes painful process understandable to all.
Fraud Risk is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to be one of our original members focused on fighting content abuse and one be among our first engineers in Mexico. You will collaborate with our existing fraud teams and partners across Square who support seller communications to prevent scams, spam, and abuse on Square platforms globally. You will report to the Senior Engineering Manager for Fraud Risk in North America.
- Be one of the original members of a new Risk team responsible for fighting abuse across Square communications globally
- Work with teams and roles across Square to develop new solutions and improve existing processes addressing fraud
- Develop essential tooling to act quickly on potential fraud
- Design fault-tolerant systems so the team can be brave, move fast, and break things, without ever showing a negative impact to customers
- Advocate and model engineering best practices
- Mentor other engineers
- 5+ years of software engineering experience working full-stack across multiple technical domains, including backend microservices and internal tooling
- Experience driving products from end to end - working with product managers to determine requirements, creating engineering designs, building the code, writing tests, deploying changes, and support.
- Data-oriented mindset: you want your work to be measurable and impactful
- Customer empathy: you understand your customers' requirements
- Comfortable working with a globally distributed team of data scientists, engineers, and risk experts
Technologies we use and teach:
- Java, Guice, Google Cloud Platform, Amazon Web Services
- Go, Ruby on Rails, Ember, React, GraphQL
- Protocol Buffers
- MySQL, Hibernate, jOOQ
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, social or health conditions, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.