Software Engineer, Credit Risk
Since we first opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely – and so has Square. After enabling anyone to make a payment and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together. So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, run a busy kitchen, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. And across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow all in one place.
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
The Credit Risk team’s mission is to empower sellers to advance their businesses while managing credit risk within reasonable levels. To do this we build tooling that allows our Operations team to manage credit risk in payment processing. We also build seamless and intuitive solutions for our sellers, leveraging Square’s systems, machine learning models, and industry expertise to enable visibility into changes on their account. We enable trust with sellers using data and predictive analytics to make credit risk decisions, while maintaining high touch, tailored experiences for our largest sellers.
As a Software Engineer on Credit Risk Upmarket, you will design, implement, and own the services and infrastructure that build this trust with the largest sellers at Square. You will build beautiful web applications, design high-availability services, and work with complex distributed systems. If you love delivering software that improves the lives of business owners, we want to work with you!
As a member of the team, you’ll:
- Partner closely with product managers, designers, sales, machine learning engineers, and business leads to scope, plan, design, and build new features as well as maintain existing functionality.
- Design systems to work with our microservice and event-driven architectures
- Hold your teammates—and yourself—to high engineering standard
- Build incrementally, test everything, and deploy daily
- Have autonomy to research and achieve outcomes with support when you need it
- 2+ years of industry engineering experience
- Interest in working full-stack across multiple technical domains, including backend microservices and internal/external user-facing tools
- A sense of customer empathy (both external and internal) and the desire to influence product direction
- Data-oriented mindset: you want your work to be measurable and impactful
- Interest in working in a modern development environment using the latest DevOps technologies
- Software development skills and computer science fundamentals
- Ruby on Rails
- Hibernate, Guice, GRPC
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $152,100 - USD $185,900
Zone B: USD $144,500 - USD $176,700
Zone C: USD $136,900 - USD $167,300
Zone D: USD $129,300 - USD $158,100
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.