Product Cost Analyst MBA Intern (Summer 2023)
Since we first opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely – and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take a payment and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together. So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, run a busy kitchen, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. And across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow all in one place.
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
The Square Hardware team is hiring an MBA intern to join the Materials Program Management team as a Product Cost Analyst for 12-16 weeks this summer (2023). This individual will partner with various internal teams to create new processes that will be used to maintain product cost as it relates to the Bill of Materials (BOM) and track historical and forecasted changes. You will work with the cross functional team to incorporate these new tools into existing practices such as quarterly cost lock and annual planning. This role will require a close working relationship with Finance and Strategy (F&S), Hardware Accounting, Business Operations (Biz Ops), Material Program Managers (MPM), Operations Programs Managers (OPM), and Global Supply Managers (GSM) to ensure project goals are met.
- Work independently with cross functional partners to fully understand each team’s role in cost planning and interdependencies within each team.
- Partner with Biz Ops, MPMs, and GSMs to drive efficiency in cost change implementation tracking
- Develop new processes and tools that will be used cross functionally to track current and forecasted BOM cost.
- Engage with F&S and HW Accounting partners to ensure accuracy in spend projections utilizing the tools that you have created.
- Provide weekly updates regarding project definition/planning and implementation.
- Communicate end results in the form of a presentation to Hardware Operations leads.
- A degree (pursuing) in Finance, Accounting, Operations, Supply Chain, or related technical field, graduating between December 2023 and May 2024.
- Experience with process optimization
- Experience in BOM cost
- Ability to pull together a cross functional team to solve a problem
- Ability to communicate complex ideas in order to influence a decision
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills
- Excellent communication skills, verbally and written
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on the candidate's work location and may be may be modified in the future
Zone A: USD $44.00
Zone B: USD $41.80
Zone C: USD $39.60
Zone D: USD $37.40
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.