Product Manager, Fraud Risk
Since we first opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely – and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take a payment and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together. So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, run a busy kitchen, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. And across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow all in one place.
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
The Risk organization builds the strategy, tools, and expertise necessary to enable Square and our Merchants to take principled risks in driving growth and innovation. As a Product Manager, Fraud Risk, you will lead the way in defining and building a risk strategy for ‘new to Square’ sellers to enable profitable growth. You will execute comprehensive Risk solutions that address some of the most challenging and unsolved financial risk problems in today’s environment, as we continue launching new products, expanding into new markets, and supporting our customers. You will be responsible for defining the multi-year product strategy for Square’s fraud Risk problems and driving product initiatives from inception through detailed execution. You will build consensus by collaborating closely with your sprint team, which includes engineers, machine learning engineers, and data scientists, and by influencing leaders across Square who rely on your execution to achieve their goals. You will collaborate with other Product leaders to understand how fraud risk can support their needs, the technical dependencies, and shared goals to reduce Square’s and Merchants’ risk. You will ensure that the services, products, and features your sprint team builds deliver maximum impact to Square and to your customer. You are expected to become a domain expert in fraud abuse prevention and build empathy and understanding for your customer and their business.
- Define and develop a vision and multi-year strategy for solving the fake accounts problem in partnership with Engineering, Machine Learning, Data Science, and Policy functions and partner teams across the company.
- Lead the execution of remarkable products and features that ensure optimal and scalable risk transactions experiences for merchants while protecting Square against financial loss.
- Solve complex problems and address challenging prioritization questions through data-driven approaches that put your customer first.
- Define and deliver the technical roadmap and lead your sprint team into executing on timelines and delivering results within target range.
- Meet the fraud risk objectives by representing your sprint team, their objectives, and strategy with cross-functional stakeholders, Risk leadership, and senior company leaders.
- 5 or more years of product management or similar experience (Bonus: You have experience in the Risk or Fraud management space)
- Experience building consensus and accomplishing goals with diverse partners.
- Vision: You’ve formed, gained and supported key strategies shaping the multi-year direction of your team.
- Results: You’re excellent tactically, with experience shipping elegant products at scale.
- You have a great ability to absorb and apply data to your decision-making.
- You’re able to push through obstacles, and ready to roll up your sleeves wherever needed.
- Customer empathy: Experience shaping product direction and execution based on customer needs.
- Experience working through problems with high ambiguity and without a definitive answer.
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, social or health conditions, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.