Android Engineer, Team Management
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
We have an incredible team that is on a mission to make commerce easy for all types of businesses. Square Team Management is a comprehensive set of tools to help merchants manage a team of employees. It is an integrated software solution that makes management more manageable. It provides business owners and managers with the tools they need to monitor and manage their employees. This includes providing robust employee permission functionality within Point of Sale and Square Dashboard, plus allowing sellers to track their employee’s time with timecards. Team Management helps give our sellers the peace of mind that their business is running smoothly, even if they’re not physically present.
To learn more about the Team Management product: https://squareup.com/us/en/point-of-sale/features/team-management
- Build and test Android software with complex server, network, and hardware interactions
- Foster a strong culture with team members distributed across several locations.
- Collaborate with colleagues across engineering, product, design, and operations to deliver end-to-end solutions.
- Design high availability, resilient systems which can operate no matter the network or device conditions.
- Capture and analyze metrics to drive informed decisions.
- Contribute to the direction of the team and selection of projects on our roadmap.
You’ll need to…
- 2+ years of Android development experience, and an excellent command of engineering fundamentals.
- Be proficient in Java and/or Kotlin for development (we use both).
- Enjoy working on mobile apps at all levels – from networking up to user interfaces and whatever’s in between.
- Build high availability and highly resilient systems which can accept and report payments no matter the network or device conditions.
- Collaborate with iOS, Android, and Server engineers to ship features.
- Work with product managers and designers to refine and define product scope and design.
- Respond to customer feedback to improve our products.
Technologies we use and teach:
- Kotlin for development
- Application architecture based on Square’s modern open-source library, Workflow
- Espresso UI testing
- Protocol buffers for network transport
- Gradle for our build environment
- Open-source libraries like LeakCanary, Jetpack Compose, Dagger, Anvil, Okhttp, and more
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $152,100 - USD $185,900
Zone B: USD $144,500 - USD $176,700
Zone C: USD $136,900 - USD $167,300
Zone D: USD $129,300 - USD $158,100
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.