Software Engineer (Full Stack/Backend), Square Staff, Shifts Team
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
As Square has grown, our sellers have gone from businesses with just a few employees to many (sometimes hundreds or thousands!). Square Staff provides business owners and managers the tools to manage their entire team. The Shifts team builds tools that allow sellers to plan and manage their team's schedule, track time, and manage wages, tips, and commissions. Our features live in Square Dashboard, Point of Sale, the mobile Square Team app, and in public Square APIs available to outside developers. We work closely with partner teams in Staff to provide a tight integration with our Payroll and Team Management solutions.
To learn more about the Square Staff and Shift products: https://squareup.com/us/en/staff
- Design and build new features that enable merchants to manage their teams better
- Deliver APIs that make it easy for developers to interact with customer data
- Build systems that allow sellers to better connect with their employees and give employees the tools to get their work done
- Build systems that analyze and improve customer data quality for Square's sellers
- Devise solutions to performance and scalability challenges as our customer data set continues to grow.
- Build for the future by clearly communicating the cost-benefit of a given solution and advocating for the best path forward
- Embrace opportunities to stretch yourself by learning new technologies
- 5+ years of software development experience
- Experience leading or contributing to medium-to-large feature releases; usually multi-person projects that cross engineering team boundaries
- Experience in designing and working on large-scale distributed systems
- Experience with complete development cycle from product definition to delivery
- Excellent skills with data modeling and data management
- A passion for leveraging your critical thinking, problem-solving and analytical skills to deliver remarkable solutions to your customers
- The ability to thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
- Experience with cloud computing platforms, such as AWS, Google Cloud, or Azure
Technologies we use and teach:
- MySQL, Amazon Aurora
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.