To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
As an Incident Manager you will be responsible for end-to-end coordination of both proactive and reactive change responses - deployments, rollbacks, migrations, scheduled maintenance, degradations, service interruptions and outages. You will lead the coordination of both the resolution stream and the communication stream of incidents and service disruptions. This line of responsibility runs from first-line investigation and diagnosis through to incident management and on to post-incident review and closure.
You will be joining a global team of operators based in time-zones around the world as Afterpay builds out our 24 - 7 follow-the-sun service model.
You will be collaborating with a cross-section of internal engineering / product teams as well as external vendors in all areas of platform service. You will serve as a coordinator for customer and merchant teams, bridging the service gap between front-line teams and engineering.
What you’ll be doing
- Managing the lifecycle of an incident, steering from detection through to response, restoration, remediation, resolution and closure.
- Coordinating between internal engineering teams and / or external vendor teams - collating alerts, monitoring and detection internally; raising, tracking and aging vendor tickets, cases and escalation externally.
- Coordinating communication streams on multiple tools Slack, PagerDuty and Google Meet; cross functionally.
- Quantifying problem or incident footprint - geographic and service areas; dimensioning customers, transactions, merchants, duration etc. as required.
- Ensuring that post-restoration actions are correctly captured, tracked and completed.
- Producing and contributing to the various incident, weekly and monthly reports and post incident reviews (PIRs).
- Supporting the service-related communication with vendors (internal /external) and partners - tracking vendors scheduled maintenance activity, deployments, changes and other interruptions.
- Developing and maintaining operational relationships across the organisation – functional and global. Compliance, Engineering, Operations, Finance, Security etc.
- Identifying areas of opportunity for incremental improvements in our operational framework and working with the team to implement them.
Like us, you’ll get a kick out of seeing and feeling the impact of your work. You will be a naturally curious and self-driven individual who enjoys:
- Operational and qualitatively minded with an analytical, methodical and diligent approach to problem solving.
- Exceptionally detail-oriented with excellent documentation and written skills.
- Systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with effective communication skills and a sense of ownership and drive.
- Experience in a client-facing / B2B environment where the operational / engineering world intersects with the commercial / tactical world.
- Operational experience within a high availability systems environment (finance, payments, telco, Saas etc.)
- Working knowledge in using operational toolsets in monitoring, logging, alerting and analytics space such as Splunk, SumoLogic, NewRelic, Amplitude, LaunchDarkly, PagerDuty, RunDeck, OpsGenie, Datadog, Blameless
- Exposure to ticket or case management tools such as Zendesk, ServiceNow, Salesforce and JIRA.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.