Credit Underwriter - Enterprise Portfolio Management
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Enterprise Portfolio Management (EPM)
The EPM team is responsible for managing the credit risk of our largest merchants either by exposure or by revenue, as well as challenging credits that require close monitoring and frequent interactions with senior leaders.
This Underwriter will perform regular credit risk reviews by incorporating in-depth financial analysis, as well as thorough research on management, industry, and the overall macroeconomic environment. With a forward-looking view on how a seller’s profile might look in the coming year, this person will determine the credit risk to Square, and make the appropriate recommendations.
Not only will this Underwriter interact with senior leaders on a regular basis, they will also collaborate cross functionally within Square as well as externally with partners such as legal counsel and consultants.
Lastly, this Underwriter will take every opportunity to improve our people and our operations by helping us create better solutions to assess risk and support our sellers.
- Conduct in-depth financial statement analysis and reviews for our most strategic and high-risk sellers, including drawing internal data when available and preparing credit memorandums for approval by senior management.
- Lead credit conversations with sellers to ensure that key risks are fully understood and mitigated, and manage difficult C-Suite level conversations.
- Present Credit Risk recommendations to cross-functional partners, including senior management, and provide context and rationale for recommendations to internal and external stakeholders.
- Develop partnerships with Sales and Account Management teams to ensure underwriting, onboarding, and account management processes are timely, seamless, and well-understood.
- Collaborate with Counsel and other external partners under tight timelines with minimal guidance
- Identify and execute on high-level initiatives aimed at improving our portfolio management processes at scale.
- Contribute to the continued development of credit policies and lead the testing of new risk management tools.
- 5+ years of experience in commercial banking, credit, or payment industries
- Exceptional underwriting and financial statement analysis skills
- Comfort with diverse risk management tools and techniques
- Excellent professional communications skills - able to easily communicate credit principles, build partnerships, and influence others, and the ability to negotiate under pressure
- Strong critical thinking skills - ability to solve problems logically with imperfect information
- Comfortable with ambiguity and able to self-manage to ensure highest-priority work is completed
- Ability to prioritize based on qualitative and quantitative impact, and drive strategic initiatives from scoping to implementation with little to no oversight
- BA/BS in a related field; MBA/Masters a plus
- SQL a plus
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $125,600 - USD $153,600
Zone B: USD $116,800 - USD $142,800
Zone C: USD $110,500 - USD $135,100
Zone D: USD $100,500 - USD $122,900
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.