Senior Machine Learning Engineer, Modeling
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Square Go is a new consumer marketplace and booking management app for businesses using Square Appointments. We are looking to put some of the superpowers that we have built for businesses into the hands of their customers, while helping to grow those businesses by bringing in new customers discovering their next barber, nail salon, or other service provider in our marketplace. You will be the team’s first ML engineer that closely partners with 2-3 data scientists and 4–5 software engineers, moving fast and experimentally - think quarterly planning instead of annual planning, and putting on (and swapping) multiple hats.
- Tackle challenging business problems in the online marketplace space revolving around categorization, search, and recommendation.
- Frame problem statements, collect and analyze data, research and build prototypes, and productionize ML solutions by designing and building their full pipelines.
- Collaborate with cross-functional leaders and other subject matter experts to develop success criteria and new ML and data products, features, and runbooks.
- Uplevel the overall org’s data pipeline, experimentation, and ML foundations.
- Contribute to the next generation of data-driven and intelligent products at Square.
- 4+ years of industry experience in ML or a Ph.D. in a related field with 2+ years of experience.
- Fluency in Python and practical experience in applying CICD best practices.
- Excellent breath and depth in ML fundamentals.
- Experience with cloud based ML pipelines on GCP or AWS.
- Experience launching end-to-end production ML models.
- Experience in automating internal business processes via data and ML solutions.
- Experience in stakeholder management and cross-functional collaboration.
- The ability to clearly communicate complex concepts to technical and non-technical audiences.
Nice to have:
- Experience in one or more of the following topics: Search, Recommendation Systems & Ranking, or NLP.
- A graduate degree in a technical field relevant to ML (Computer Science, Statistics)
- Experience with designing and evaluating A/B tests for newly launched models.
- Experience building ML solutions for customer-facing teams.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $192,400 - USD $235,200
Zone C: USD $182,300 - USD $222,800
Zone D: USD $172,200 - USD $210,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.