Principal Engineer - Data, Square Banking
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
The Square Banking team is building a suite of new financial products for Square sellers. We offer business checking accounts, savings accounts, and loans to help our sellers manage their business cash flow.
As a Principal Engineer focussed on Data for Square Banking, you will lead and influence the data strategy for Square Banking and Square more broadly. You will partner with the global banking leadership team to build remarkable financial services experiences for our customers and drive toward a global architecture that enables us to rapidly expand our growing suite of banking products into new international markets. This impactful and visible role requires a leader who can build a long-term vision for the space, inspire the team, drive execution, and influence across Square’s ecosystem of products. Sound like you? Read on.
- Lead large cross-organizational and multi-person projects and partner with engineering teams and stakeholders to help build and align the infrastructure for banking use cases
- Cultivate mentorship and level up the capabilities of teams and individuals around you
- Help set broad direction and vision, influence engineering and business strategy, and establish practices to efficiently and effectively address customer needs
- Proactively identify new opportunities and future needs of our Data and ML teams
- Guide and participate in critical technical, design, and product discussions with leaders across our various product, data science, operations, and engineering teams
- Understand Big Data architecture. Design then implement highly effective automated methods to build and update data infrastructure for Banking products
- Leverage data technologies On-prem, AWS, DataBricks, GCP, SaaS and enable stakeholders to solve their data challenges
- Be responsible for the successful delivery and evolution of projects with organizational impact, including planning, documenting processes and infrastructure, determining operation metrics, rollout, and maintenance.
- 11+ years of software engineering experience
- A bachelor's degree in computer science, data science, operations research, applied math, stats, physics, or a related technical field (A graduate degree is preferable.)
- Excellent software development skills and architectural design skills
- Experience working with product, business, and engineering to prioritize, scope, design, and deploy ML models
- Familiarity with Python, MySQL, Snowflake, Airflow, Java/Go, Spark
- Hosted models for inference on public clouds like GCP, AWS and/or built micro-services to facilitate event based triggering, feature generation, model inference, and downstream actioning
- Experience collaborating with product managers, data analysts, and other engineering and cross-functional leaders
- Knowledge of programming languages (e.g. Go, Ruby, Java, Python)
- Knowledge of cloud concepts and systems (e.g. AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Relevant engineering experience in lending, finance, accounting, or similar domains
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone B: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone C: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone D: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.