Strategy & Planning Lead
- Alternate Location: San Francisco, United States
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers!
Cash App is seeking an exceptional Strategy & Planning Lead. This is a key leadership role that will balance a mix of operational, analytical, and strategic responsibilities including:
Managing Business Processes & Operating Rhythms:
- Manage and streamline Cash App’s annual and quarterly strategic planning, goal setting, and resource allocation processes. Work with senior leaders to establish strategic priorities and company-level goals.
- Meticulously coordinate and improve company-wide business processes (e.g. business reviews, exec meetings, board updates, all-hands, etc). Optimize these processes for scale, efficiency, and organizational alignment
Supporting Planning and Resource Allocation Decisions:
- Develop a deep understanding of our overall business and how our different products, functions, and go-to-market investments layer into our broader strategy.
- Provide an objective perspective and advance decisions for senior management through data collection, information analysis, framework development, and pragmatic thinking
- Regularly and proactively partner with key stakeholders within Finance & Strategy, Biz Ops, People, Product , and various other teams at Cash App to assist in addressing issues, building consensus, and delivering value quickly
Refining and Communicating Cash App’s Strategy:
- Craft rigorous and compelling communications explaining Cash App’s strategy, priorities, and progress for our Board of Directors, external investors, senior leadership, and employees.
- Work with senior leadership to pressure test and refine Cash App’s strategic choices; including the markets and segments we compete in, the competitive advantages we’re developing, the capabilities we need, and the management systems required.
- Explore new business opportunities and risks. Develop business cases and recommendations that shape executive team conviction and decisions around new areas of investment, and help drive the “follow through” of those recommendations to ensure smooth execution with a diverse array of cross- functional partners.
Strategy & Planning will be a new discipline at Cash App reporting directly into our Head of Business Operations & Strategy (part of the office of the COO). We’re seeking a senior, experienced individual contributor to start; with the expectation that the successful candidate will hire and develop a small, high-performing team once they are assimilated into the organization.
- 12+ years of experience in analytical, strategic roles and with a background in consulting, business operations, or finance.
- Strong track record of leading company-wide planning, goal setting, and resource allocation processes
- Experience working with and influencing management at all levels, including C-level leaders
- Exceptional data and information analysis skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication and storytelling skills, particularly with executive leaders and teams - you excel at distilling difficult concepts and crafting concise messages and stories that resonate.
- Experience building, developing, and motivating high-performing teams
- Strongly preferred: Deep familiarity with the US fintech industry, including competitive, industry, and technology trends
- New York or San Francisco location preferred
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone B: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone C: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone D: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.