Product Communications Intern (Summer 2023)
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
Square's Communications team shares with the world how Square empowers businesses of all types and sizes with powerful and elegant solutions to help them start, run, and grow.
As a Communications Intern, you will help our team bring to life the numerous ways that Square’s innovative technology is helping sellers find success during challenging times. As a purpose-driven company, you will keep a finger on the pulse of broader industry trends and conversations to help identify opportunities for Square’s narrative to shine.
We’re looking for someone who can hustle under pressure and change course quickly. If you’re an intellectually curious self-starter, passionate and skilled in GIF usage, and a fan of the Oxford comma, we’re looking for you.
- Work across product teams to find and tell real-world customer stories to effectively show multiple audiences, from partners to media, how our products are making a difference for small businesses
- Develop written materials, including briefing docs, communications plans, FAQs, and blog posts
- Monitor industry news, develop media contact lists, track press coverage, and support media inquiries
- Collaborate with product, marketing, sales, and other teams to ensure consistent Square messaging across the company
- Availability for a full-time 12-week internship
- Pursuing degree in Marketing, Communications, or any related field, graduating between December 2023 and May 2025
- Skilled at working on multiple projects at once
- Proven ability to work well under pressure and adapt quickly to change
- Excellent writing, editing, and communications skills
- Self-starter, who instinctively and consistently creates personal and professional stretch goals and meets them
- Curiosity and ability to think creatively, flexibility, and a sense of humor
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on the candidate's work location and may be may be modified in the future
Zone A: USD $36.00
Zone B: USD $34.20
Zone C: USD $32.40
Zone D: USD $30.60
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.