TBD is Block's newest, emerging business unit- focused on building a future where every individual can access and participate in the global economy. The TBD team is on a mission to lead by example, inspiring the world to invest in & collaborate on open source standards and permissionless technologies for the public good. Join us as we build a financial system accessible for anyone who wants to participate.
We are looking for a Head of Design to join TBD as our first design hire. As Head of Design, you will provide design direction and set high standards from early stages of ideation through launch. You and your team will shape the design strategy, prototypes, and solutions in collaboration with other TBD leaders and cross-functional partners. Your function will shape design elements across TBD’s open source projects, monetizable products and services, and creative campaigns across TBD’s brand and marketing, and developer functions.
You will report directly to the Head of TBD, Mike Brock, and have the opportunity to build a best-in-class design team.
- Provide brand / product design direction and set high standards for TBD’s approach to the design of web applications, mobile applications, visual interface, and UI/UX design
- Collaborate with engineering, product, business, and brand / marketing leads to design our projects and products from conception to launch and scale
- Drive and deliver multiple design projects simultaneously, and ultimately build a best-in-class design team that is integrated across functions at TBD
- Incorporate data and customer insights in order to create conceptual wireframes, prototypes and high fidelity designs
- Create a unified design system that increases the velocity of our product and open source engineering teams and extends to brand and marketing output
- Work cross-functionally to create integrated project, product and brand/marketing experiences that drive business outcomes and uphold a high bar, reflecting TBD’s vision, mission, and ethos
- 12+ years of experience as Product Designer
- The ability to navigate ambiguity as part of a start-up team that is inventing new technologies and products in a nascent space (decentralized identity, decentralized finance, decentralized web apps)
- The capacity to bring novel, simple, and intuitive design to a nascent industry in which user experiences and interfaces are complex and inscrutable to the everyday person
- A passion for translating complex problems into simple, relatable, and engaging solutions
- An innate understanding of the end-to-end product design process – from identifying customer needs, jobs-to-be-done, and pain points to delivering exceptional customer experiences
- Led and inspired a team of best-in-class designers in a prior role
- Outstanding UI/UX capabilities, strong visual interface design competency, and brand/product thinking for both web and mobile experiences
- A diverse portfolio of work that illustrates your ability to lead design projects from inception through completion
- Experience in being a strategic partner to engineering, product, and business teams
- Competence in relevant design and prototyping tools
- Effective communication, collaboration, leadership, and presentation skills
- Desire to mentor and lead others in building out a design function
- Interest in decentralized applications, and the potential of decentralized finance and decentralized identity
- You must include a link to an online portfolio of your product design work
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone B: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone C: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone D: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.