Mobile Engineering Manager (Omnichannel) - Square for Restaurants
Since we first opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely – and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take a payment and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together. So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, run a busy kitchen, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. And across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow all in one place.
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
Restaurants today operate in an increasingly dynamic landscape, and we're building a modern product ecosystem to support this. The Restaurants team at Square empowers Food & Drink businesses of all kinds to start, run, and grow their businesses through advanced workflows, specialized products, business insights, and inclusion in the greater Square ecosystem. In everything we build, we focus on efficiency, automation, and reliability: themes of paramount importance in a fast-paced environment where great hospitality is key.
We are looking for an experienced engineering manager to lead a product development team focused on building features in our Point of Sale( POS) that help restaurants provide an integrated experience, regardless of how diners choose to order, pay and receive their food. This team focuses on enabling a restaurant to be omnichannel and enables them to integrate with relevant products in the Square ecosystem.
Working with the Omnichannel product manager, you will define the product strategy and roadmap, and work with other engineering teams at Square to introduce new architecture that enables POS to adapt to the new omnichannel first world. Given the critical workflows that a POS powers in a restaurant, you will be responsible for driving reliability - from managing processes to ship reliably, to building tools and libraries to measure and monitor performance.
As part of this role you will:
- Lead a team of 6-7 mobile engineers (iOS and Android)
- Grow and develop your team through hiring, coaching, and team leadership. You will have a strong start, with a starting team of amazing engineers and a growth-oriented culture
- Lead projects with direct impact on key success metrics for Square for Restaurants, and do it by putting critical tools into the hands of restaurant owners and setting them up for success.
- Closely collaborate with design, product management, and marketing partners to define and launch product features in the Point of Sale (POS)
- Foster an environment that enables the team to execute quickly while maintaining a high standard for quality
- Experienced in coaching and developing engineers through senior levels, and growing engineering teams through hiring and career development
- Focused on the customer, and naturally apply that focus at all times to product definition, design, engineering, and operations
- Prepared to support your team with engineering insight as well as people leadership. You will be called upon to advise engineers on design and process; represent your engineering team to leadership and partners; and ensure excellent technical output from your team
- Eager to collaborate closely with cross-functional partners and peer EMs, as partners with shared goals and openness to each others' ideas
Technologies that will be used by your team:
- Mobile development on Android (Kotlin) and iOS (Swift)
- Server-side development, primarily in Java in a Square service stack
- Thorough automated testing on all stacks (unit, integration, and snapshot, as appropriate)
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $222,800 - USD $272,300
Zone B: USD $211,600 - USD $258,600
Zone C: USD $200,500 - USD $245,100
Zone D: USD $189,400 - USD $231,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.