Sr. Product Manager - Data Governance
Block is one company built from many blocks, all united by the same purpose of economic empowerment. The blocks that form our foundational teams — People, Finance, Counsel, Hardware, Information Security, Platform Infrastructure Engineering, and more — provide support and guidance at the corporate level. They work across business groups and around the globe, spanning time zones and disciplines to develop inclusive People policies, forecast finances, give legal counsel, safeguard systems, nurture new initiatives, and more. Every challenge creates possibilities, and we need different perspectives to see them all. Bring yours to Block.
The Data Context & Privacy team is responsible for empowering the trusted, secure, private, and reliable usage of data across ecosystems at Block. The team provides frameworks, tools, and infrastructure that enables data discovery (accessibility, reusability, quality), data governance (consent, ownership, privacy, security), and data observability. The team leverages their technical capabilities to form partnerships with customers, help colleagues discover new data solutions, support the development of data products, and promote data best practices.
As a Product Manager on our Data Context & Privacy team, you will be responsible for developing a platform to implement a comprehensive data governance framework that includes data privacy, data collection and consent management, and data discovery and inventory. You will work closely with cross-functional teams, including data scientists, engineers, legal and privacy counsel, and security teams. You will work directly with our outstanding engineering teams (Privacy Engineering & Data Inventory Engineering), report to the product lead for the Data Platform team (data & ML), and work with product managers and technical program managers across our Foundation Engineering (Fe) team.
- Define the product vision, strategy, and roadmap for data privacy and governance, with a focus on data collection and consent management and data discovery
- Develop a deep understanding of customer needs and requirements for data privacy and governance, including privacy regulations and data protection laws
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to design, develop, and launch new features and products
- Work with the engineering team to prioritize and plan product development activities
- Develop product requirements and specifications for new features and products related to data privacy, consent management, and data inventory
- Work closely with legal and privacy counsel to ensure compliance with data privacy regulations and data protection laws
- Collaborate with security teams to implement appropriate data security measures and protocols
- Conduct market research and analysis to stay current on industry trends and competitive landscape
- Manage the product development lifecycle from ideation to launch, ensuring timely delivery of high-quality products
- Communicate product vision, strategy, and progress to stakeholders, including senior management
- 5+ years of experience in product management, with an understanding of data concepts and tools (e.g., ETL, data pipelines, data lineage, data lakes), data privacy, data governance, and data discovery
- Passion for building internal products and platforms and understanding how data flows through products and business units
- Strong technical background with experience in software development, data management, and analytics
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Strong leadership and product management skills
- Experience working with Agile development methodologies
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $167,300 - USD $204,500
Zone B: USD $158,900 - USD $194,300
Zone C: USD $150,600 - USD $184,000
Zone D: USD $142,200 - USD $173,800
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.