Software Architect, Globalization
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
As an Internationalization Engineer/Architect, you will prioritize and drive initiatives from inception through execution. You'll be uniquely positioned to have your customers be all product engineers at Square and any partners who rely on you and your team's internationalization libraries, tools, and utilities to bring Square products to the globe. You will have deep internationalization technical knowledge and superb collaboration skills to increase the adoption of the recommended solutions and best practices.
- Be a software architect, leading the internationalization and localization efforts of the development team
- Partner with the product teams (engineers, product managers, designers, UX creators) to help design and implement internationalization changes across all Square products that benefit the downstream localization process and the global user experience.
- Educate engineers and partners on internationalization best practices.
- Develop internationalization (i18n) infrastructure for online payment and point-of-sale systems
- Make decisions on the best open source and develop internationalization libraries and keep them up to date with the latest global standards.
- Use CLDR and Unicode to create language-specific resources for multiple regions
- Create content and code localization-readiness scanning and linting tools for the CI/CD development infrastructure.
- Recommend or create multi-regional solutions for the payments and point-of-sale industry.
- Ensure that software is performant, scalable, and maintainable
- Bachelor's degree plus 8+ years of industry experience or equivalent
- Have led medium-to-large features and multi-person efforts that crossed engineering team boundaries.
- Have technical expertise on best internationalization frameworks and technologies for tech stacks across enterprise systems, web, and mobile.
- know about Unicode, CLDR, IANA, International standards, and i18n library implementations.
- Excel in a collaborative environment involving partners spanning multiple roles and technical levels.
- Are motivated to empower global customers with respect for their local values and cultures.
- Have demonstrated experience learning new software development environments
- Experience in online payments, Unicode, CLDR, and writing i18n libraries
- Active participant or contributor in the Unicode Consortium, CLDR, ECMA 402, or other open-source internationalization-related standards or libraries.
- Familiar with translation management systems (TMSs) and content management systems (CMS).
- Master's degree and 10+ years of experience
- Fluency in more than one language. Understanding or fluency in a right-to-left (RTL) language.
- Hands-on experience bringing a product from creation to global launch, or even better, to a market that uses a right-to-left (RTL) language.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $192,400 - USD $235,200
Zone C: USD $182,300 - USD $222,800
Zone D: USD $172,200 - USD $210,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace.
Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.
Learn more about our efforts to promote inclusion and diversity at block.xyz/inclusion
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.